Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Record Store Day Reminder and a Shitload of Metal.

Toronto's Record Store Day- We've gone commercial!

As much as I would like to think that RSD is an independent venture, the truth is- WARNER BROTHERS CONTROL'S RSD! Yes, the 'go and support your independent record store' aimed day is now owned by the industries 2nd largest company AND has been known to unleash small numbers to the mom and pop shops as sunrise Records got large quantities; Shady, I know.

Nonetheless, with the rise of LP's in our modern lexicon its safe to say the day still brings unbelievable exposure to records, as well as many shops.

Pending on where you live, you may want to hit up one of a few Toronto shops that are participating in 2011's Record Store Day. I will be lined up at Vortex (Yonge and Eglinton) bright and early at 10 AM. I was advised to come close to 9AM for a fun filled wait as many collectors know this is the shop to be at in terms of selection. Rumour has it that Criminal Record will be doing a Midnight sale, but I found that last year they had half of the titles that Vortex had, but numerous copies of each. They will be announcing if they are having this sale sometime during April 15th. Kops Records will also be participating in RSD, and with their new stocking chick Katy, they've promised loads of titles.

This weekend is also the 35th anniversary of the Toronto Musical Collectibles Show, with $500 in shopping sprees to be won just by attending! 6435 Dixie Rd., Mississauga 10AM- 4PM.



Okay, enough of the news- Here are some of my favourite metal albums:
Black Tusk- Fantastic Doom/Sludge band on Relaspe Records.

4 FANTASTIC Dillinger Escape Plan LP's - Ire Works, Irony is a Dead Scene, Calculating Infinity, and Operation Paralysis.

Canadian Tech-Metal gods 'The End" - Elementary and Within Dividia.


Death-Doom band 'Howl' - Limited Copies of 'Full of Hell' on Black Vinyl (2000 Copies), Red (500 Copies), and Clear (100 Copies)

Hardcore Classic "Heart of Darkness" By: Burnt By The Sun.

No one grinds like Soilent Green! -Original 'Deleted Symphony for the Beaten Down'
Death-Core Favourites:
Suicide Silence: The Cleansing, No Time To Bleed -
Impending Doom: There will be Violence, The Serpent Servant
Whitechapel: A New Era of Corruption

Picture Disc of Dimmu Borgir's first LP: Stormblast

Amon Amarth's 'Versus the World', on limited double white vinyl!

Some of my favourite Hardcore albums:
Earth Crisis: Slither, The Oath That Keeps Me Free (Live)
First Blood: Killifornia
Bleeding Through: Declaration
Stoner Sludge at its finest- Kylesa: S/T (Cover by Pushead)
Black/Death Greats!
Borknagaar: The Olden Domain
Deicide: The Stench of Redemption

My favourite Doom album of all time: Type O Negative, October Rust

My cat cuddling against Pantera's 'Vulgar Display of Power'

Pantera's deleted/banned cover for 'Far Beyond Driven'- This album kills!

Though this isn't my favourite In Flames LP, it's the only one I have. Sense of Purpose is their latest, and their new album is due out sometime late 2011.


That's all for now, folks. This is a fraction of my metal collection, but these tend to hit my deck most often.

Up next: My overwhelming Metallica collection!

3 comments:

  1. I'll be doing my part to support RSD down here in Portland, OR. by dumping my wallet on the counter of the nearest record store! Can't wait to see some more shots of the Metallica stash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mr. P!

    I have so much Metallica it would take me a full day to organize it for the photos. I hope to have it up some time next week. I will likely post album by album, and extend into CD's/Posters/Toys/Passes...

    ReplyDelete